Black eye beans are incredibly nutrient-dense, packing plenty of fiber and protein into each serving. They're also a good source of several important micronutrients, including folate, copper, thiamine, and iron.
Enjoy this healthy and tasty salad full of protein.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
1 Cup black eye beans
3 Cups water
1 TBSP vegetable oil
Pinch of heeng (asafoetida) powder
1 TSP of crushed ginger
½ TSP coriander powder
½ TSP red chilli powder
¼ TSP turmeric powder
½ TSP Chat masala (optional)
1/3 cup chopped cucumber
1/3 cup chopped tomato
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup chopped coriander leaves
Lemon juice to taste
Salt as per taste
1. Wash and soak 1 cup of black eye beans in 2 cups of water overnight. If you are short of time soak for at least 4 hours.
2. Place a pressure cooker over medium heat
3. Once hot add the vegetable oil
4. Add the heeng powder (asafoetida) and ginger and mix it well for a couple of minutes.
5. Add the turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, and salt.
6. Add 1 cup of water and close the pressure cooker lid.
7. Let it cook on high heat till 1 whistle and then turn the heat off and let the cooker completely release the pressure naturally and has cooled down. (This can take up to 5-10 minutes)
8. Once cooled open the lid, turn the heat to medium and cook the beans with an open lid till all the excess water is dried up.
9. Turn off the stove and place the cooked beans in a mixing bowl.
10. Add the chopped cucumber, tomato, onion, coriander leaves, lemon juice, chat masala and mix well.
11. Serve in a bowl or on lettuce/salad leaves.